The long awaited much, talked about, unified, consistent Front of Pack (FoP) nutritional labelling system was announced by the government a little over a month ago (press release, specification).
We at alacalc.co.uk pride ourselves on being up to date with the latest specifications and regulations regarding package labelling and are very proud to announce that the new specification labels are available for download from the website for all of your current recipes now.
Keep reading for more important info.
- Energy is now described in both kJ and kcal (cals or calories does not appear anywhere on the new label)
- Thresholds for LOW, MED and HIGH ratings have been adjusted to:
- Fat: less than 3g per 100g is green (low), between 3 and 17.5g per 100g is amber (med) and greater than 17.5g per 100g OR 21g per portion is red (high)
- Saturates: less than 1.5g per 100g is green (low), between 1.5 and 5g per 100g is amber (med) and greater than 5g per 100g OR 6g per portion is red (high)
- Sugars: less than 5g per 100g is green (low), between 5 and 22.5g per 100g is amber (med) and greater than 22.5g per 100g OR 1.8g per portion is red (high)
- Salt: less than 0.3g per 100g is green (low), between 0.3 and 1.5g per 100g is amber (med) and greater than 1.5g per 100g OR 1.8g per portion is red (high)
- Number of servings per pack is now displayed on the label
- Typical values per 100g for Energy is now displayed on the label in both kJ and kcal
What does this mean for the old system?
We will be discontinuing the old style graphics in the coming months as the thresholds and information displayed on them does not conform with the new guidance. They will remain in place on the website for 2 more months at least, however, this is only for the sake of those who are interested in archiving the old styles offline.
We are currently in the process of updating the back-end rendering methods of the PDF outputs on a la calc. This is so we can build the PDFs much faster than is currently the case saving you valuable time.
Because of the timing of the new PDF rendering and the new graphic styling we have decided to only offer the new graphics to download as JPEG files until the PDF rendering engine is updated. This is so we aren't building the new graphic output for a soon to be deceased PDF rendering engine. I hope this doesn't cause too much inconvenience for you during our period of updating.
When the new PDF engine is complete it will, of course, include the new graphics too.
Please let us know what you think of the recent new website layouts and the new graphic outputs.
We love to hear from you.